January 1, 2017

A Reader Sends: Arrow Antenna / Fire Story THANK YOU

Via email:

When I took your SC class you mentioned the Arrow Antennas.  You talked and demonstrated the loop and attenuator but I don’t remember a directional antenna suggestion.  I have seen the 146-3 suggested.




That is just VHF.  Do you agree or have a better selection for directional communications.



I want the best backpack solution.  I live in hills/mountains.



I checked in the signal-3 drive to see if you had discussed this antenna and checked your books but did not find anything.  I don’t want to bother you but I don’t want to waste money.



 _________________________

Fire



We here in the mountains of SC had a large fire in Table Rock state park that traveled to NC.  We had several family friends in harms way.  We went to an initial fire briefing by the park service and they gave us a web site to check for updates.  This websites was useless.  During our family fire assist operations we were running radios and I had a RS Pro-197 available to me.  I was able to use the signal stalker capability and pick up some of the air and ground frequencies.  Because of your training I was able to keep our group informed.   This was real life important and I can’t thank you enough for all you do to train us.



I had to go mobile for operations for one day and could not bring the scanner.  This led me to purchase the BCD436HP.  I am busy learning this scanner so I can get the most from it.  I made sure it had the close call capability.  I want to be ready for any storm ahead. 





THANK YOU so much sir.



73,
REDACTED


  1. This is an example of why listening is >2X as important as transmitting. 
  2. Arrow Antenna makes a good product.  The one I use, and that you see in a lot of posts is the Model 146/437-10WBP.  The URL is http://www.arrowantennas.com/arrowii/146-437.html. It is the split-boom model that comes with the duplexer.  I usually store/carry mine, along with a few other antenna piece parts, in a CountyComm Maratac Sat-Com Bag. (https://countycomm.com/collections/view-all-storage-products/products/sat-com-bag-by-maratac-rev-3).

No comments:

Post a Comment