August 9, 2016

Probably the Best Prepper, I Mean Survivalist, Radio.

Preppers, actually I prefer the term survivalists, have different requirements for communications than say the 3%/"unorganized militia" types.  What to get, then?
If you want something even more basic, this would work too:
Both of these are pretty good radios.  The difference is that the Uniden 980 (the first one) has single-sideband capability which gives you about 8 times more efficiency in your power output as opposed to AM.  The Uniden 510 (the second one) is AM-only, but is in a nice small form factor that's a favorite among Jeep owners.

Figuring out your communications requirements among all the material (some incorrect) on the Internet is tricky.  Fortunately, Sparks31 has distilled 30 years of practical experience into a newsletter, and workshops for you to take advantage of. 

2 comments:

  1. I switched all of my 11 meter band radios to the 980, they don't drift off frequency like so many other name brands

    http://quietsurvivalist.com/uniden-bearcat-980-ssb-cb-radio/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info. I'll keep the 980 in mind for my next buy.....

    ReplyDelete