December 28, 2015

Sideband CBs

After hearing some rumors from my readers, I have confirmed that Cobra is at this time no longer manufacturing CBs with sideband (SSB).

They cost a little more money, but if you were going to stick strictly to license-free comms, I would advise spending the extra money and getting a CB with SSB.  SSB works better under difficult conditions.

Yes, they also do AM so you are compatible with AM-only CBs.

Uniden and Galaxy are still making SSB CBs.


Uniden Bearcat 980SSB


Galaxy DX-949

I have been asked about ham gear that can be modified to cover CB frequencies, and the "export" CB/10 meter radios that also have FM and a "Band Switch".   If you know enough about RF to inquire about them, then you should know the answer to your questions, and know better than to make an admission against interest to someone you don't know.

I don't know you, and therefore don't trust you just on general principle.  I also find it highly suspicious when you just come out and ask certain things of someone you don't know.

And yes, I'm well aware of the provisions in 47CFR97.403 & 405.  You're not being clever by bringing it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment